Friday, March 22, 2013

Meatloaf

Meatloaf, it's so old fashioned and comforting. It's sounds like it would be something a housewife would make. It also sounds like something that June Cleaver would take out of the oven (for some of you younger ones that don't know who that is, I am not going to sit down and explain) that and a good pot roast with potatoes and carrots.
     Today we are not going to talk about pot roast. We are going to talk about meat loaf. I have "invented" my own meatloaf recipe. Basically, what I did was take my mom's and my mamaw's recipe and put what I wanted in it. Your probably thinking "What! A fifteen year old girl making up her own recipe!!!" to me, meatloaf is foolproof.
     Let's get started.



     First, I preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius). Then, cut up 1/4 of an onion, 1/4 of a bell pepper, and one clove of garlic. I sautéed them in a little bit of olive oil. They don't need to get brown. About five minutes is probably good enough.



     Once the vegetables were done, I added them to about 1 & 1/2 lbs. of ground beef. I just stirred it up with a fork, but you can use your hands if you prefer to get your hands dirty.



     After that was all mixed up, I went ahead and added 1 egg, 1 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 T worcestershire, and salt and pepper. I just sprinkled in the salt and pepper.

   Put it in a pie pan and stick it in the oven for one hour. When it's got about ten minutes left mix 1/2 cup ketchup with 1 T of brown sugar; pour it on top of the meatloaf. That should be enough but if you think you need more, then make more. Simple as that. 
     Note: I usually don't measure a lot of the ingredients, so if you feel like your meatloaf needs anything, add it.
     Serve it with any side dishes you like and you are done!






Meatloaf  
Serves 8

1 & 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 of an onion
1/4 of a bell pepper
1 clove of garlic
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumbs
1/2 T worcestershire 
dash of salt
pinch of pepper

Topping  
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T brown sugar
You can always make more topping if you feel like your meatloaf needs it.




No comments:

Post a Comment